Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reading

I like reading, I really do, the feeling of the page rubbing against my fingers, the smell that comes of as I scratch the page seems so familiar. It's all signs that I'm delving into a world I know little about and am about to know more the more I read.

I think that's the same reason I like TV shows. It doesn't rush to tell you everything about the world it's in. It opens and slowly lets you make your own decision about it's state showing different facets at a time. Well good TV shows at least.

I bought three books today, for two reasons mostly. One, to help alleviate my dad's boredom of sitting in my room. Secondly, a reason that I didn't really realise until I sampled one of the books I was getting for my dad. I like reading and three books covering a wide range (so not the word I'm looking for) of subjects is the way to go.

1. The Left Hand of God (Fantasy).. my mind still goes back to the "Magic Kingdom of Landover" Series which I started with "Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold" on the car ride from KL to Ipoh that disappeared. This along with that Blastoise Pokemon card are two things I still have no idea where they went.

2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time (Fiction from an interesting narrative) I like it. If you like reading of any amount you'll like it too.

3. Shades of Grey (Fiction) the Premise is color coded Orwellian world? Maybe it's the fact I've just rewatched "Brazil" but the bleep on the back cover appealed to me.

So yes reading it's fun. Go do it.

When I was a kid I read a lot. In fact in my family we loved to compete and one of the things we competed on was who read more books. Don't ask why we did it. Maybe it's the fact that we all would grow up and be doctors. Say what you will about doctors but you gotta have a pretty high perception of yourself in relation to your peers to think that you can and should be a doctor. So yes it probably was an ego trip.

I digress, the point I wanted to get to was, when I was a kid our teachers used to say that Malaysians read an average of one page a year, in a very accusatory tone, like it was all our fault. I honestly think I did more than my part to lift the perception of illiteracy from our nation. so yeah screw you I did read and I am going to continue reading and if we as a nation don't read more don't you think the blame rests more on your shoulders (I'm speaking to the education ministry). Tossers! Yes you Ms Shereen from English in Standard 2! You and your smug look always mocking me... judging me!

1 comment:

~*eley *~ said...

who catches flies with vinegar?!?!?!?
neways, the curious incident of the dog at nighttime is a really interesting read. look through the illustrations!!!